Monday, November 24, 2014

Tis the Season

With temperatures lately between a low of 70 F and a high of 99 F, it is hard to think of the holidays and winter.  The girls have been taking swim lessons at the Island Recreation Center and Cecilia actually has swim for her PE in school.


We celebrated Halloween and KAUST even had a Halloween Party for the residents at one of the Recreation Centers.  A friend picked up a pumpkin for us at the closest big city, Jeddah, and I carved it Halloween Day. 

I had packed the girl's costumes in our suitcases and they were.... can you guess?  Yes, they were Anna and Elsa just like 50% of all the other girls their age and they were sooooo happy about it. I did not pack Isabella a costume and our 1st shipment had not arrived yet so I put her in a brown sleeper and tried to get her to wear a little puppy dog hat. She had just taken it off when I snapped this photo:


The community organized a map of houses participating in trick or treating and the girls were able to collect some goodies.

Although there are no vacation days for Thanksgiving, we are invited to a friends house for dinner on Thanksgiving.  They have frozen turkeys at the super market and all the fixings as well.  I actually saw common holiday items like Poinsettias, decorations, and even candy canes at the market.


Temperatures have averaged between 70 F and 91 F in November, but surprisingly we have had off and on showers for the past week with thunderstorms.  We had a little bit of water seeping in under patio doors and through windows, which we called and got fixed. But the girls have LOVED splashing in all the puddles.  


As I walked home from dropping the girls off at school this morning, I took this picture of a rainbow:


Although it doesn't really get colder than 70 F, the rain has been a welcome surprise to maybe a slight change in seasons.